GENETIC BASES OF MULTI-FACTORIAL ONCOLOGICAL DISEASES
- Scheda dell'insegnamento
- Obiettivi formativi
- Metodi didattici
- Verifica dell'apprendimento
A few theories of cancer will be critically presented outlying their theoretical and practical weaknesses. Furthermore students will learn to see cancer as a developmental disease of the tissue in which genes are involved. In more general terms students will learn to evaluate in a deep critical fashion the current theoretical and experimental evidences concerning the cancer phenotypes.
A general background as provided by the Advanced and Quantitative Genetics course is strongly recommended
1. Conceptual limits of the linear, multistep evolutionary process of tumorigenesis (So-matic Mutation Theory)
2. Tumorigenesis in a broader context of development
3.Cancer as a functional error in the developmental processes
4. Beyond genomic alterations: role of transcriptome (gene expression profiles) of tumor tissues. Transcriptomes as emergent patterns linked to development
5. Cell types as attractors states: correspondence with the gene expression profiles asso-ciated with each cell type
6. Cancer cells as a discrete cell type
7. Cancers as attractors
8. Highly Integrative view of cancer according to the Tissue Organisation Field Theory (TOFT): role of cell to cell cross talk and its abnormalities in cancer pathogenesis.
The course will be delivered by frontal lessons
A classical oral examination will be implemented with particular attention to the critical reasoning and judgment attitudes toward the issues raised in the course
Students will be provided with ppt slides as well as the most relevant and specific papers.
Cerchi il programma? Potrebbe non essere ancora stato caricato o riferirsi ad insegnamenti che verranno erogati in futuro.
Seleziona l‘anno in cui ti sei immatricolato e troverai le informazioni relative all'insegnamento del tuo piano di studio.