FOUNDATIONS OF ASTROPHYSICS
- Scheda dell'insegnamento
- Obiettivi formativi
- Metodi didattici
- Verifica dell'apprendimento
- Altre informazioni
The course aims to provide students with the basics of modern astrophysics, introducing concepts and techniques commonly encountered in research, and thus providing the basis for further studies.
No specific previous knowledge is required, other than those acquired in the three-year degree course in Physics.
1) Radiative transfer theory
2) Radiative processes in astrophysics
3) Stellar formation and evolution
4) Physics of compact objects
5) Accretion theory
6) X-ray binaries
7) Gamma-ray bursts
8) Sources of gravitational waves
Class lectures, exercises and homework projects.
Notes prepared by the teacher. References books: High energy astrophysics (Longair), Radiative processes in astrophysics (Rybicki & Lightman), Radiative processes in high energy astrophysics (Ghisellini)