GENETIC BASES OF MULTI-FACTORIAL ONCOLOGICAL DISEASES
- Scheda dell'insegnamento
- Obiettivi formativi
- Metodi didattici
- Verifica dell'apprendimento
- Altre informazioni
- Mutuato da
The goal of the Oncology sub course is to gather critical knowledge regarding the biological bases of the cancer growth as evidentiated in the clinical course and history of human tumors. We’ll discussed two main theories presently put forward to explain cancer namely the Somatic Mutation Theory (SMT) and the Tissue Organisation Field Theory (TOFT). The incongruencies and limits of both theories will be presented and we expect the student to become critically competent in the interpretation of the cancer growth and progression according to those theories.
The goal of the Neuro sub course is to gather knowledge concerning the biological bases of neuro-psychiatric disease. We’ll assess the role of heredity in the genesis of these diseases and the limits of this parameter will be sought. Two contrasting models to interpret neuropsychiatric disorers will be presented and again the scientific and epistemic limits will be disclosed in order for the student to gain a very critical assessment.
A good background in genetics, molecular biology, physiology as well as basic notions of cellular biology are mandatory
The following issues will be considered
1. Basic concepts of the neoplastic growth. Presentation of the two main theories of cancer origin namely Somatic Mutation Theory (SMT) and Tissue Organisation Field Theory (TOFT).
2. Dissection of the limits and contraddictions of the two theories and presentation of more encompassing and integrative theories. The Systems Dynamics Theory will be employed to describe the cancer progression.
3. Definition of cancer attractors and their exploitation to understand cancer progression
1. Heredity: genetic bases and concepts. Application to neuropsychiatric disorders
2. Explanatory models for neuropsychiatric diseases: i)biomedical ii) psycho-social
3. Genome wide association studies and neuropsychiatric disorders
4. Critical assessment of these genetic approaches
Lessons will be carried out for a total of 16 hours for each module. Active attendance is strongly recommended.
Oral examinations will be employed to assess the student’s ability and competence in pointing the limits of such approaches
Slides will be provided by the lecturer together with other suitable material (from the web or from other sources).
The lecturer will be pleased to receive students at the DBSV, piano giallo (2°), Via Dunant 3, Varese.
clicca sulla scheda dell'attività mutataria per vedere ulteriori informazioni, quali il docente e testi descrittivi.
Cerchi il programma? Potrebbe non essere ancora stato caricato o riferirsi ad insegnamenti che verranno erogati in futuro.
Seleziona l‘anno in cui ti sei immatricolato e troverai le informazioni relative all'insegnamento del tuo piano di studio.