Current position & Title
Full Professor in Otorhinolaryngology University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
Chairman and Head Dept. of Otorhinolaryngology,
Director of Surgical Specialties Department, Azienda Ospedaliero - Universitaria, Ospedale di Circolo-Varese, Italy
Director Head & Neck Surgery and Forensic Dissection Research center
DBSV University of Insubria, Varese
Teaching & Experience
- Organizer of Regular annual dissection and clinical courses since 1995:
a) 3D surgical anatomy of nose and paranasal sinuses, hands on, Tubingen, Germany.
b) Transnasal corridors to skull base and orbit, Vienna, Austria,since 2010.
c) Transnasal corridors to pitutary, Vienna, Austria ,since 2007.
d) Basic dissection of paranasal sinuses and orbit,Paris ,France since 1995.
e) Basic dissection of paranasal sinus ,Marselille,France since 1996.
f) The modern sinonasal surgery:Anatomy,Diagnostics and operative techniques (Basic and advance course)-English and Italian Language,since 1995 in Belgium.
- More than 30 hands-on anatomical dissection courses around the world
- Guest speaker and Faculty Member in several meetings throughout the world, giving more than 350 official presentations and lectures.
- Guest operating surgeon in more than 50 national and International courses with live-TV surgery.
- Director of International Biennale Milano Masterclass, since 1999.(7 editions).
- More than 500 visitors to the department since 2002
- International Health Cooperation programm, twinning between Basr Hospital in Betlahim(Palestine) and Circolo hospital in Varese(Italy). (DDG 4992-27-04-2009)
- Fellowship training programm in Rhinology and endoscopic skull base(International Candidate) since 2006.
- 2014 - He has organized the 6th World Congress for Endoscopic Surgery of the brain, skull base and spine that will be held in Milan in April 14th – 17th,.
- Non profit orginization for scientific research and training courses (www.attingo-edu.it).
- He has performed more than 7000 surgical operations of which more than 500 major operations in collaboration with neurosurgical team.
Education & Certification
- September 17, 1979- Degree in Medicine and Surgery at the Universita 'degli Studi di Milano.
- July 8, 1982- Award of the Diploma of Specialist in Otolaryngology at the University of Pavia.
- 29 October 1991- Attainment of the Diploma of Specialist in Audiology at the University of Pavia.
- December 24, 1986 - appointed assistant professor in Otorhinolaryngology, Dept. of Otorhinolaryngology , University of Pavia, Italy.
- April 16, 1990- appointed university researcher in Otorhinolaryngology at the Faculty of Medicine of the University 'of Pavia.
- 1998 was appointed Deputy Director of the ENT Clinic of the University of Pavia for three academic years 1999/2002.
- 1 April 2001 - appointed Associate Professor in Otorhinolaryngology, University of Insubria-Varese, Italy
- 1 April 2001 – appointed Chairman and Head Dept. of Otorhinolaryngology Azienda Ospedaliero - Universitaria, Ospedale di Circolo-Varese
- 5 April 2005 - appointed Director of the School of Specialization in Otorhinolaryngology , University of Insubria-Varese.
-1st December 2006 - appointed Full Professor in Otorhinolaryngology, at the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of the University of Insubria-Varese.
- July 2013 – Dicember 31th 2013 - appointed the Director and Chairman of Neurological Surgery Department at Azienda Ospedaliero - Universitaria, Ospedale di Circolo-Varese
- July 2013 – appointed the Director of Surgical Specialties Department at Azienda Ospedaliero- Universitaria, Ospedale di Circolo- Varese.
- July 2014 – appointed the Director of Head and Neck & Forensic Dissection Research center - DBSV, University of Insubria, Varese
Personal skills and competences
His main interests are focused on endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery since the late 80’s. Besides inflammatory lesions of the paranasal sinuses, he had been gaining an extensive surgical experience and skills in the endoscopic management of neoplasms of the sinonasal tract and skull base (CSF leaks, sellar and parasellar) lesions.
Sinonasal and Skull base oncology, Endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery, challenging oncological cases and CSF leak repair.
Chronic rhinosinusitis, skull base endoscopic reconstruction, Sinonasal and Skull base oncology
- President of Italian Academy of Rhinology (IAR) (2012-2015)
- Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh (FRCSEd)
- Honorary member of Belgian ENT Society
- Corresponding member of Spanish ENT Society
- Board member Italian skull base society (ISBS)
- Italian Society of Otorhinolaryngology (SIOeChCF).
- European Rhinologic Society (ERS).
- European Skull Base Society (ESBS).
- European Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery (EAFPS).
- American Rhinologic Society (ARS).
- Italian Society of AICEF.
Publication and presentation more than (491) scientific papers (132 original works printed in full, 97 international relations, national reports 132 and more than 130 video communications, all presented at conferences and symposia) .
- Publish book: Surgical Anatomy of the internal carotid artery: An Atlas for Skull Base Surgeons 2013.
- More than 150 chapters in published book.
- Series of anatomical teaching booklets published by Storz company.
- Roma, Italy, 1993, Italian society of Otorhinolaryngology, head and neck surgery: Dedicated to "Caliceti, Citelli e Pietrantoni": III prize for research of: "Cholesteatoma of middle ear"
- Padova, Italy, Video larynx 1997, award Prof. Teatini - 1° prize video: Endoscopic treatment of nasal Hemangiopericitoma.
- Padova, Italy, Video Larynx 1998, award Prof. Teatini - 1° prize video: Isolated pathology of sphenoid sinus.
- Rodos, Greece, 2004, 5th European Congress of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology Head and Neck Surgery: 1st Award for his Video Presentation
- 15th September 2007, American Rhinologic Society: International award for the article “Endoscopic surgery for malignant tumors of the sinonasal tract and adjacent skull base: 10 years experience
- 2014 award Fellowship ad hominem Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
More than 491 scientific participations, in attachment you find the published PubMed which are more than 120 article.