Address: Center for Complex systems, University of Insubria
Department of Science and Technology
Via Valleggio,11 22100 Como, Italy
Phone: +39-031-2386278 Fax: +39-031-2386209
Education and professional experience
1968 graduated in Physics at Milan University
1968-1970 Pos. doc. at CCR Euratom
1971-1972 Research associate, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Ga.
1973 -1987 Associate professor at Milan University
1987-1998 Full Professor of Theoretical Physics, Milan University
1993-1998 Dean of the Faculty of Sciences, Milan University
1998-2001 Vice Rector of University of Insubria
2002-2011 Visiting Professor National University of Singapore
Since 1993 Director of the “Centre for Nonlinear and Complex Systems”-Como.
Since 1980 Scientific Co-ordinator of the Centre for Scientific Culture “A. Volta”
Since 1998 Full Professor of Theoretical Physics, University of Insubria-Como.
Classical and quantum chaos, nonlinear dynamics and complex systems, transport phenomena, quantum computing . Statistical physics, theoretical physics.
Main scientific contributions:
Discovery of quantum dynamical localization phenomenon.
Relevance of chaos in quantum mechanics. Quantum limitations of chaotic excitation of hydrogen atom in monochromatic fields.
Connections between quantization of nonintegrable systems and the statistical theory of spectra.
Scaling behaviour of localization in quantum chaos.
Validity of Fourier law in one-dimensional many body classical system.
Discovery of the thermal rectifier, of the thermal transistor and of the wave diode.
A new approach to increase thermoelectric efficiency.
1991: Italian Prize for Physics “F. Somaini”
2008: Enrico Fermi Prize
2010 International prize for Physics 2010- Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei.
. Member of the Academia Europaea
- Co-ordinator of the UE Networks on “Quantum Transport on an Atomic Scale” “Effects of decoherence and imperfections for quantum information processing”.
- Member Editorial board Phys Rev. E (2005-2010)
- Principal coordinator of the National project: “Collective quantum phenomena: From strongly correlated systems to quantum simulators” (2013-2015).
- Associate Editor of the Journal “Random Operators and Stochastic Equations”
- Member International Advisory Board of “Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems”.
- Member of the Executive Council of the European Science Foundation (1986-1992)