DAVIDE VIGETTI, Ph.D.
Department of Medicine and Surgery
School of Medicine
University of Insubria
Via Dunant, 5 - 21100 Varese - ITALY
Born January 17th, 1972 in Varese, Italy.
2002 Doctoral Degree (Ph.D.) in Evolutionary and Developmental Biology, University of Milan, Italy.
1996 Degree in Biology (MS) cum laude, University of Milan, Italy.
2015-present Associate Professor of Biochemistry, Department of Medicine and Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Insubria, Varese, Italy
2004-2014 Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, University of Insubria, Varese.
American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2014-present)
Italian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (2005-present)
Italian Society of Connective Tissue Research (2005-present; secretary 2017-2019)
International Society of Hyaluronan Sciences (2005-present; secretary 2018-2022)
Davide Vigetti has been a member of the scientific and organizing committee of several national and international meetings:
XXXVII meeting of the Italian Society for connective tissue research (SISC 2017 – Como)
Seven lakes International Conference on Proteoglycans 2017, Varese, Italy.
2013 FEBS Journal Top-cited paper Award
2008 Young Researcher Award from “Centro Insubre di Biotecnologie per la Salute Umana)”
2001 Postdoctoral fellowship from Dept. of Structural and Functional Biology, University of Insubria
2019 Editor of the book Methods in Molecular Biology – Extracellular Matrix - Method and Protocols – Springer
2014-2019 Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Biological Chemistry.
2014- present Member of the Editorial Board of Clinical & Medical Biochemistry
2012-2013 Lead Guest Editor of the special issue entitled “Cellular microenvironment in human pathologies” in Biomedical Research International.
2004-present Set up of quantitative methods to quantify glycosaminoglycans.
2004- present Extracellular matrix metabolism in cultures of human cells in senescence.
2004-present Regulation of hyaluronic acid synthesis in in vitro models of human pathologies as atherosclerosis and cancers.
2014-present Epigenetic regulation of gene expression (long non-coding RNA biology).
Davide Vigetti is author of 78 peer reviewed papers with total impact factor of more than 250, more than 2000 citations, and a H-index is 25 (from Scopus database).
He attended more than 60 scientific meetings presenting about 20 talks as invited or selected speaker. Briefly:
Gordon Research Conference on Proteoglycans 2012 (poster selected for oral presentation).
International Conference on Hyaluronan Sciences 2003, 2007, 2013 (poster selected for oral presentation and session chair).
International Conference on Hyaluronan Sciences 2019 (invited speaker)
FEBS Advanced Lecture Course Matrix Pathobiology 2013, 2015 (poster selected for oral presentation)
FEBS Advanced Lecture Course Matrix Pathobiology 2018 (Discussion leader and invited speaker)
Italian Congress of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2003, 2005, 2010, 2011, 2015 (poster selected for oral presentation).
Italian Congress of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 2007, 2013 (invited speaker)
Italian Congress of Connective Tissue Studies 2006, 2016 (poster selected for oral presentation).
Italian Congress of Connective Tissue Studies 2018 (invited speaker).
For a complete list of PubMed publications click here
- Melero-Fernandez de Mera RM, Arasu UT, Kärnä R, Oikari S, Rilla K, Vigetti D, Passi A, Heldin P, Tammi MI, Deen AJ. (2018) Effects of mutations in the post-translational modification sites on the trafficking of hyaluronan synthase 2 (HAS2). Matrix Biol. IN PRESS doi: 10.1016/j.matbio.2018.10.004
- Tezuka T, Ota A, Karnan S, Matsuura K, Yokoo K, Hosokawa Y, Vigetti D, Passi A, Hatano S, Umezawa K, Watanabe H. (2018) The plant alkaloid conophylline inhibits matrix formation of fibroblasts J Biol Chem. 293, 20214-20226
- Vigetti D, Caon I, Passi A. (2018) A nutrient sentinel stands guard outside the cell. J Biol Chem. 293:16951-16952.
- Karamanos NK, Piperigkou Z, Theocharis AD, Watanabe H, Franchi M, Baud S, Brézillon S, Götte M, Passi A, Vigetti D, Ricard-Blum S, Sanderson RD, Neill T, Iozzo RV (2018) Proteoglycan Chemical Diversity Drives Multifunctional Cell Regulation and Therapeutics. Chem Rev. 118:9152-9232.
- Filpa V, Bistoletti M, Caon I, Moro E, Grimaldi A, Moretto P, Baj A, Giron MC, Karousou E, Viola M, Crema F, Frigo G, Passi A, Giaroni C, Vigetti D. (2017) Changes in hyaluronan deposition in the rat myenteric plexus after experimentally-induced colitis. Sci Rep.;7:17644
- Viola M, Karousou E, D'Angelo ML, Moretto P, Caon I, Luca G, Passi A, Vigetti D. (2017) Extracellular Matrix in Atherosclerosis: Hyaluronan and Proteoglycans Insights. Curr Med Chem. 23:2958-2971
- Moretto P, Karousou E, Viola M, Caon I, D’Angelo ML, De Luca G, Passi A, Vigetti D (2015) Regulation of hyaluronan synthesis in vascular diseases and diabetes. Journal of Diabetes Research Article ID 167283, 9 pages
- Vigetti D, Deleonibus S, Moretto P, Bowen T, Fischer JW, Grandoch M, Oberhuber A, Love DC, Hanover JA, Cinquetti R, Karousou E, Viola M, D’Angelo ML, HAscall VC, De Luca G, Passi A (2014) Natural antisense transcript for hyaluronan synthase 2 (HAS2-AS1) induces transcription of HAS2 via protein O-GlcNAcylation. J Biol Chem. 289:28816-28826
- Vigetti D, Viola M, Karousou E, Deleonibus S, Karamanou K, De Luca G, Passi A (2014) Epigenetic in extracellular matrix remodeling and hyaluronan metabolism. FEBS J. 281:4980–4992
- Vigetti D, Karousou E, Viola M, Deleonibus S, De Luca G, Passi A (2014) Hyaluronan: biosynthesis and signaling. Biochim Biophys Acta - General Subjects 1840: 2452-2459
- Viola M, Bartolini B, Vigetti D, Karousou E, Moretto P, Deleonibus S, Sawamura T, Wight TN, Hascall VC, De Luca G, Passi A. (2013) Oxidized Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) Affects Hyaluronan Synthesis in Human Aortic Smooth Muscle Cells. J Biol Chem. 288:29595-29603
- Vigetti D, Deleonibus S, Moretto P, Karousou E, Viola M, Bartolini B, Hascall VC, Tammi MI, De Luca G, Passi A (2012) Role of UDP-N-Acetylglucosamine (GlcNAc) and O-GlcNAcylation of Hyaluronan Synthase 2 in the Control of Chondroitin Sulfate and Hyaluronan Synthesis. J Biol Chem. 287: 35544-35555
- Vigetti D, Rizzi M, Moretto P, Clerici M, Dreyfuss JM, Karousou E, Viola M, Deleonibus S, Hascall VC, Ramoni MF, De Luca G, Passi A. (2011). Glycosaminoglycans and glucose prevent apoptosis in 4-methylumbelliferone-treated human aortic smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 286:34497-34503
- Vigetti D, Clerici M, Deleonibus S, Karousou E, Viola M, Moretto P, Heldin P, Hascall VC, De Luca G, Passi A. (2011) Hyaluronan synthesis is inhibited by adenosine monophosphate activated protein kinase through the regulation of hyaluronan synthase 2 activity in human aortic smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem. 286(10):7917-7924
- Acquati F, Bertilaccio S, Grimaldi A, Monti L, Cinquetti R, BonettI P, Lualdi M, Vidalino L, Fabbri M, Sacco MG, Van Rooijen N, Campomenosi P, Vigetti D, Passi A, Riva C, Capella C, Sanvito F, Doglioni C, Gribaldo L, Macchi P, Sica A, Noonan D, Ghia P, Taramelli R. (2011) Microenvironmental control of malignancy exerted by RNASET2, a widely conserved extracellular RNase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:1104-1109
- Vigetti D, Genasetti A, Karousou E, Viola M, Clerici M, Deleonibus S, De Luca G, Hascall VC, Passi A. (2010) Proinflammatory cytokines induce hyaluronan synthesis and monocytes adhesion in human endothelial cells through has2 and NF-kB pathway. J Biol Chem. 285:24639-24645
- Vigetti D, Genasetti A, Karousou E, Viola M, Clerici M, Bartolini B, Moretto P, De Luca G, Hascall VC, Passi A. (2009) Modulation of hyaluronan synthase activity in cellular membrane fractions. J Biol Chem. 284(44):30684-94.
- Vigetti D, Rizzi M, Viola M, Karousou E, Genasetti A, Clerici M, Bartolini B, Hascall VC, De Luca G, Passi A. (2009) The effects of 4-methylumbelliferone on hyaluronan synthesis, MMP2 activity, proliferation, and motility of human aortic smooth muscle cells. Glycobiology. 19(5):537-46.
- Vigetti D, Viola M, Karousou E, Rizzi M, Moretto P, Genasetti A, Clerici M, Hascall VC, De Luca G, Passi A. (2008) Hyaluronan-CD44-ERK1/2 regulate human aortic smooth muscle cell motility during aging. J Biol Chem. 283(7):4448-58.
- Vigetti D, Moretto P, Viola M, Genasetti A, Rizzi M, Karousou E, Pallotti F, De Luca G, Passi A. (2006) Matrix metalloproteinase 2 and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases regulate human aortic smooth muscle cell migration during in vitro aging. FASEB J. 20(8):1118-30.
- Vigetti D, Ori M, Viola M, Genasetti A, Karousou E, Rizzi M, Pallotti F, Nardi I, Hascall VC, De Luca G, Passi A. (2006) Molecular cloning and characterization of UDP-glucose dehydrogenase from the amphibian Xenopus laevis and its involvement in hyaluronan synthesis. J Biol Chem. 281(12):8254-63.